Wednesday 24 October 2007

STAND UP FOR YOUR RICE (PHOTO REFLECTIONS)



Hunger is equated to rice...





In Bohol, we specially cook rice on a 'woven' coco palm to complete the barbecue fare. Boholanoes as seafaring people 'invented' the hanging rice or puso to make it more handy for the travelers and for it to last longer...








When am hungry, that means I crave for rice. Friend, the one hanging on top is not for aesthetic value. It is done to pay tribute to the rice that is on our tables, filling us up to satisfaction when needed. The one hanging is not meant for you to suffer with pangs of hunger, to salivate at the thought of having it without the means to buy the RICE...






The longest rice was hung at the City Plaze to commemorate the World Food Day Celebration. The rice was cooked by the farmers. They prepared 2 sacks of organic rice for the activity. The rices are of different varieties.












I can't describe my happiness. It has been months that I suffered from the drought. We don't have to take rice every meal--- a rationalization I say to myself or my family. But, we can have puso in some special occasions...








The Bohol Chamber of Commerce, Inc. President signing to make Bohol's rice untainted of GMO (Genetically Modified Organism)



Sir, please keep us in mind. We know that we have to uphold our freedom to choose, to be assured of good health and freedom in the way we live our life. But we are just ordinary farmers. In that signature, can you insure that our voices are heard, loud and clear?














I have lived in the city for so long. I miss the ricefields and its smell during harvest time...





My child, will you be able to appreciate the craft and the effort involved in planting our staple food? Will I be able to feed you enough? What would you be?












My boy, we have been here for so long. We tilled the rice from the time we knew how to ride the water buffalo... Don't worry much. Find a balance! We survived finding solace in our music and tending to our field in the daytime...

PROMISE TO US that you share to your little boy the pride in farming and the respect in the rice. Promise to us that you continue the struggle




























No comments: